What should God’s Holiness matter to us?
- God’s Holiness is His most essential quality
- It is more essential than His Love and justice
- Holy is the word that modifies everything else about God
- His Love is Holy Love
- His justice is Holy justice
We cannot understand God’s Love until we understand His Holiness.
Jesus said the first thing we should pray for is that we and others would know and honor God’s Holiness- Matthew 6:9.
- Hallowed is another word for Holy
- Hallowed be Your Name means may Your Name be held as Holy and spoken in worshiped as Holy
Holiness is not only God’s essential quality, but it is also our calling- 1Peter 1:15-16
- Our calling to be Holy should create a tension in us that is both terrifying and thrilling
- The terrifying part is that we are not Holy – Isaiah 6:1-6
- The thrilling part is that it is God’s will to make us Holy – Isaiah 6:6-7
- God loves us just the way we are, but too much to let us stay the way we are
- God labors to make us Holy and lovable
Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them, but Love cannot cease to will their removal. Love is more sensitive than hatred itself to every blemish of the Beloved.
“ Of all Powers He forgives most , but He condones least . He is pleased with little, but demands all” -C.S Lewis
Thomas A. Kempis 1378-90 -1471 writes” We should have complete dependence on the Love, Mercy, and Holiness of God.(imitation of Christ)”
- God made us for Himself
- Our heart is restless until we respond to Him
- Our highest good and deepest happiness are to be found only in the knowledge and service of God. (What are you doing to serve)
- Christ is not a static figure frozen in history, but a Living and Present reality
- The Risen Christ continues to shape the Spiritual lives of His disciples today (Are you one of His disciples?)
- Love is not an idea or abstract virtue, Love is A Person
Whom have I in Heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and portion forever.
Jude 20 – The Christian life comes down to two things
Build yourself up in the faith
Pray in the Holy Spirit
God’s Grace and Mercy is with you,
Pastor E. Ann Scott